Experimental Flow Field Assessment – Digital Particle Image Velocimetry (DPIV)
Using Digital Particle Image Velocimetry (DPIV), pulsatile flow conditions in the immediate vicinity of the device can be analyzed to determine the viability of cardiovascular devices meeting regulatory standards. Triggers for disease (such as shear stresses and regions of stagnation) can be quantified with a high degree of accuracy. Advanced methods, including proper orthogonal decomposition, also capture the implicit fluid mechanical phenomenon of interest.
ViVitro Labs testing provides 2D high-speed information regarding the Quantitative and Qualitative nature of the flow surrounding a device. Qualitative outputs include flow assessment based on particle streaks with assessment and description of any occurrences of flow separation, flow stasis, vortex formation, jet nature, regurgitant and other fluid mechanical phenomenon. Quantitative outputs include velocity, shear stresses, and particle residence times during various phases of the cardiac cycle. Stagnant flow may induce potential blood clot formation during heart valve operation.
High flow velocities in the vicinity of the device may induce potential haemolysis and platelet activation.
- Shear stress (viscous shear stress, Reynolds shear stress)
- Regions of stagnation
- Qualitative analysis: Turbulent flow region, flow separation, vortex formation, jets
- Calculated particle residence time (if required)
- Transcatheter valves; TAVI, TMVR
- Biological, Polymeric, Mechanical valves: Rigid or soft
- Venous valves and conduits
- Valvular conduits
- Vena Cava Filters
- Assist ventricular devices
- Any device implant in flow models
Cardiovascular implants — Cardiac valve prostheses — Part 2: Surgically implanted heart valve substitutes
Cardiovascular implants — Cardiac valve prostheses — Part 3: Heart valve substitutes implanted by transcatheter techniques
- Pulsatile Flow Testing – Hydrodynamic Performance
- Steady Flow Testing – Hydrodynamic Performance
- Accelerated Wear Testing (AWT)
- Experimental Flow Field Assessment – Echo Doppler – Bernoulli’s Equation Verification
ViVitro Labs Advantages
Many companies look to academia to handle their testing needs due to the reduced cost. With ViVitro Laboratory Services you gain the following advantages:
Time to Market
We understand how critical your timelines are. Our expertise and experience ensure your schedule is met and our commitments are delivered on time.
Free Initial Consultations
All of our studies are scoped via no-cost, no obligation, collaborative consultation.
We happily provide Non-Disclosure Agreements for all services, including initial consultation.